This easy to make Hashbrown Casserole with Ham can be made ahead, served for brunch, or even for dinner like we did. It takes minutes to put together and it’s a great recipe to use up leftover ham.
One of the best ways to stretch your grocery budget is to use sale items, and during the holidays is a great time. Typically around the Easter holiday you can find a dozen eggs for less than $1, and Ham is also very reasonable, usually under $1 per pound. The recipes that you can make using leftover ham are endless.
Inspired by our Breakfast Pie with Hashbrown Crust, we changed the bacon to ham, and instead of a crust, we simply tossed together the hash browns, cheese and ham added them to a 13×9 baking dish and poured the eggs and milk over top.
Earlier this week, we had breakfast for dinner on the menu, but after looking through the freezer and finding ham that was still leftover from Christmas, and a bag of hash browns, we changed the menu and decided to use what we had on hand. To make dinner quick and easy, we decided to just toss together the ingredients and see how it would turn out.
The result – the Hashbrown Casserole with Ham. And we all loved it! Even my picky eaters went back for seconds. I say that’s a win – win! You can also use bacon or sausage if you rather.
During the holidays when there is big dinner planned, I always plan an easy breakfast that can be made ahead of time. My extra time in the kitchen is limited, so any recipe that I can prepared ahead is an extra bonus. If you are planning an Easter brunch, make your life easier by mixing up the recipes ahead of time.
You may also like serving this Make Ahead Coffee Cake.
and this Honey Lime Fruit Salad to add to your holiday brunch menu.
- 1 bag (32 oz) Shredded Hashbrowns, thawed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups ham, chopped
- 2¼ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided (save ¼ cup of topping)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- In a very large bowl, combine hashbrowns, butter, salt and pepper
- Add ham and cheese and stir until well combined
- Spread mixture into baking dish evenly. There pan will be very full, don't worry the eggs will be absorbed into the mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs and milk
- Pour evenly over hashbrown mixture
- Top with ¼ cup cheese
- Baking at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cover dish with foil and continue cooking for about 15 minutes more or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Mix casserole following instructions. Cover in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator over night. Remove 30 minutes before baking. Bake following instructions.
Linking this recipe up with Southern Plate and her Easter Round Up!