You will never miss the meat in this Vegetable Country Skillet. Packed with flavor and protein from mushrooms, eggs and cheese, it makes a delicious Meatless Meal for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner. And perfect to serve for Lent.
Trying to find a meatless recipe that is satisfying, especially for my house full of men is a challenge. We really aren’t fish lovers, although a few of us do like shrimp. With Lent upon us, this One Dish Dinner would be perfect served for Lent or even on Meatless Monday.
While our family are Christians, we have never really followed the Lent traditions of giving up meat. During Lent, many commit to giving up meat consumption, fasting or giving up luxuries.
Serving breakfast for dinner is a favorite around here. I always add it to our Monthly Menu at least twice a month. When I serve a big breakfast, whether it’s in the morning or at dinner time, I often look for dishes that don’t take a lot of time but are filling. It can take quite awhile to cook bacon, pancakes, eggs, toast and fruit.
This Country Skillet is also very budget friendly, I bought all the ingredients at Walmart, and served the whole family for around $4.
The Vegetable Country Skillet was very filling and was on the table in under 30 minutes using only 1 pan. Now, if you must add meat, you could certainly fry up some bacon or sausage and add it. But honestly, I don’t think you will miss it. Or you could also change the vegetables if there is one of the ingredients that your family does not like.
- 2-3 tablespoons oil, enough to coat the bottom of the skillet
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ½ cup onion, chopped finely
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon garlic, fresh or Gourmet Gardens Fresh Herbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 6-8 eggs, depending on the size of your skillet
- Peel and dice potatoes. Place in microwave safe bowl. Cook for 4-6 minutes until slightly tender. See notes below.
- While potatoes are cooking, clean and dice onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and green pepper
- Add oil to skillet and heat over medium-low heat
- Add potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes until fork tender
- Add salt, pepper and garlic, cook 1 minute
- Add onions, mushrooms and green pepper, cook about 2-3 minutes or until tender
- Add tomatoes and cook about 1-2 minutes
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Make wells in mixture for eggs. Crack 1 egg into each hole
- Cover skillet and cook about 5-8 minutes or until egg whites are cooked
- Serve with toast, juice, milk or fruit