I don’t know about you, but Mexican food is one of our family favorites. It is very tempting to toss aside homemade dinner plans, grab the keys and head out to our favorite local Mexican food restaurant. White Queso Dip is one of our favorite things to get as an appetizer or side. Well, now with just a few simple ingredients, you can make this delicious White Queso Dip at home and it feels just as authentic as eating at a restaurant.
All you will need is 1 pound of White American Cheese, 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, and 1 prepared batch of homemade Pico de gallo. If you are having a hard time finding White American Cheese in bulk, it is frequently in the fresh deli counter at your local grocery store.
Coarsely grate the entire pound of cheese.
Add 1/2 a cup of the heavy whipping cream and all of the cheese to a saucepan. Heat over medium low until the cheese begins to melt, stirring continually.
Patience is a virtue during this step. It takes a while and when it starts to melt it begins to separate and look kind of weird. Don’t worry! When this happens add the other 1/2 cup of the cream and keep stirring!
In about 10 minutes, the cheese will melt completely and blend into the cream. You have done it. You’ve created delicious White Queso Dip.
Once the cheese is blended, stir in the homemade Pico de gallo.
Transfer to a bowl or small slow cooker to keep warm and serve immediately with your favorite tortilla chips.
This White Queso Dip Recipe is a delicious snack, appetizer or side. I love to serve it along with our favorite tacos, taco salad, enchilada’s, or burritos. Sometimes I even tuck some inside of a tortilla for added flavor when I’m building my taco or burrito. If you want to mix things up, you can also stir in crumbled bacon and/or a container of green chili’s. This dip is also great re-heated if you happen to have leftovers. Your entire family will look forward to adding this delicious dip to your favorite Mexican meal.
NOTE: there were many comments that readers had trouble with this recipe, so we found a new, easier way for you to make the Queso Dip.
- 1 pound White American Cheese (ask your grocery store deli counter)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 1 prepared batch of Pico de Gallo
- tortilla chips for serving
- Coarsely grate the cheese.
- Add ½ cup heavy whipping cream and cheese to a sauce pan. Heat over medium low heat until cheese is melted. Stirring (almost) constantly.
- Patience and low heat will be your best friend. And add an arm workout by stirring constantly. Your cheese will clump and look disgusting. When that happens, add the remaining cream and continue to stir until smooth.
- Add pico de gallo and stir well.
- Transfer to bowl or small slow cooker and serve with tortilla chips.