Whether you serve this as breakfast, brunch, or dinner – this Make Ahead French Toast Casserole will definitely be a hit, no matter what time of day!
We love breakfast in our house, but let’s face it, it can be a busy time, even if it’s a Saturday or Sunday morning, there always seems to be something to do. However, having a Make Ahead Breakfast Recipe makes it so much easier.
I remember as a young girl growing up, my Mom always served a special breakfast on Sunday and for the holidays. On Christmas morning it was tradition to have a big breakfast after opening gifts. Easter brunch was also a time that she served a big brunch. Back then she would get up super early to prepare, but now I make my life a lot easier with make ahead breakfast. Another one of our favorites is the Make Ahead Sausage Casserole.
All you will need are a few simple ingredients. Cinnamon bread, milk, half n half, egg substitute, vanilla, cream cheese, nutmeg, and a cinnamon/sugar combo. The star of the show is really this cinnamon (or cinnamon raisin) bread. This bread is delicious by itself, but turn it into this Make Ahead French Toast Casserole and it is revolutionized into an extraordinary treat.
First, trim the crusts from bread.
Then, arrange half of the bread in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, 1-1/2 cups of the egg substitute, half and half and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Whisk until it’s mixed well. Pour half of the mixture over the bread in the pan.
In a food processor or blender, add 1/2 cup of the egg substitute, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cream cheese. Process until smooth. Pour over the moist bread in the dish.
Top with the remaining bread and pour the remaining milk mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from the fridge and let it set for about 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 50-55 minutes.
Let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar if desired. Another option, of course is to top with one of your favorite maple or berry syrups or even just fresh fruit. It is also delicious plain, without anything added.
No matter how you choose to serve up this Make Ahead French Toast Casserole, it will be the star of the show. The cream cheese filling adds a layer of surprise and decadence. This is so delicious that you will add it to your favorites, not just because it is a crowd pleaser but also because the ingredients are simple and the prep is a cinch.
If you love Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes like we do, you may also like…
- 20-24 slices cinnamon bread (or use cinnamon raisin)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups egg substitute, divided
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Cinnamon Sugar, optional
- Trim crusts from bread. Arrange half of the bread in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, 1-1/2 cups of egg substitute, half and half and ½ cup of sugar. Whisk until mixed well. Pour half of mixture over bread in pan.
- In a food processor or blender, add ½ cup egg substitute, ½ cup sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and cream cheese. Process until smooth. Pour over moist bread in dish.
- Top with remaining bread and pour remaining milk mixture over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from fridge and let set for about 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350 and bake for 50-55 minutes. Let stand before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.