There’s few things better than coming home to a house filled with the aroma of homemade soup. This Crock Pot Vegetable Soup is simply delicious, and loaded with our favorite vegetables.
Preparing this recipe is easy, all the vegetables can be chopped ahead of time so that in the morning all you have to do is throw everything into the crockpot and set the cooking time. Then when you get home just add the pasta and a quick 20-30 minutes later dinner is on the table.
This soup takes 8 hours to cook and get all the flavors to come together, and one thing I learned was to vary the size of the pieces you chop the vegetables into, so that you have some of the smaller pieces will cook completely down and become part of the broth. And the larger chunks will remain whole when they are done cooking.
The original recipe makes a full 6 quart crock pot. We decided after we saw how much it made to ladle out about 2 cups of the soup after it was cooked to freeze. I’ll have to say that it was a hit with the entire family.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups uncooked rotini pasta
- shredded Parmesan cheese for topping if desired
- Add all the ingredients except the uncooked pasta and cheese to a 6 quart crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Add pasta and stir. Turn heat setting to high and cook for 20-30 minutes or until pasta is done.
- Serve with each bowl topped with a sprinkling of cheese.