I love fish, as long as I’m not the one cooking. I’ve just never been one that can prepare it and have it taste like I want. But I keep trying my hand at it and I think I’ve finally found an easy way to make Baked Fish Sticks, and have them come out crispy.
There are several types of fish available that you can use but I prefer Cod. It’s relatively inexpensive and has a taste that everyone is familiar with and handles well.
As a kid I loved fish sticks, it was always a special treat when we had them for dinner. The addition of this Homemade Tartar Sauce and oven fries makes these Baked Fish Sticks a kid friendly meal.
- 12 ounces Cod fillets
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon house seasoning (equal parts salt, black pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- Pat dry Cod fillets with paper towels.
- Cut fillets into ¾? x 3? sticks and season liberally with house seasoning. (House Seasoning Recipe Below)
- Add fish sticks to a medium sized bowl and add mayonnaise and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a medium bowl containing bread crumbs and toss to coat.
- Place fish sticks on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 350 F degree oven, carefully turn once halfway through cooking. Sprinkle with house seasoning fresh out of oven.
- While fish is cooking combine all the ingredients for the tartar sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve with oven fries