Here is a childhood favorite of mine that I rarely get a chance to make anymore since it seems that there is never any leftovers. I took care of that when we fixed meatloaf for dinner the last time; I made extra just so I would have enough for a Meatloaf Sandwich.
The great thing about making a meatloaf sandwich is that it’s frugal and can save you some time when you are in a pinch for a quick meal. I’ve come to enjoy them in many forms, a simple sandwich to a gut busting experiment with mashed potatoes and gravy for toppings.
However this time I decided to create my sandwich with a sweet and savory theme. I started out by slicing the meatloaf fairly thick, 3/4 inch seems to make a hearty amount. Then I topped it with a thick slice of my favorite cheese, Muenster and added a handful of onion straws I made using the same batter as I do for our Fried Green Beans.
To hold my sandwich I decided to use a multigrain ciabatta roll that I had brushed the interior with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic salt.
I grilled all this on a cast iron griddle I had preheated in a 325F oven. Then served with bread & butter pickle chips. Mmm,Mmm, goood!
- Leftover meatloaf
- Multi-grain Ciabatta rolls
- Muenster Cheese, sliced
- Onion straws, store bought or make your own
- Bread & Butter pickle chips
- Preheat a cast iron griddle in a 325F oven
- While griddle is preheating fry onion straws using this batter or store bought
- Brush olive oil onto ciabatta rolls and sprinkle with garlic salt
- Place on griddle
- Slice meatloaf into ¾ inch thick slabs
- Grill sliced meatloaf on griddle for 3 minutes
- Flip, add cheese and grill for 5 minutes
- Remove and assemble sandwich
- Serve with bread and butter pickle chips
Weekly Menu Plan
We are including a couple extra days this week, because next Monday we will be sharing February Menu Plan. Yup…February already, can you believe it?
Monday ~ Chinese New Year Celebration
Wednesday ~ Taco Soup
Thursday ~ Grilled Cheese Sandwich, 3 ways
Friday ~ Asian Pork Kabobs with Veggies and Rice
Sunday ~ Hearty Stuffed French Toast and Fried Potatoes
Monday ~ Grill Burgers with Campfire Potatoes
Tuesday~ Mini Penne with Cherry Tomatoes, and Garlic Bread
What’s on your menu?