Just how busy are you? Too busy to eat breakfast at home? Well we’ve put together a tasty little recipe that will satisfy your tastebuds and keep you on track with your fitness goals. A Healthy Southwest Breakfast Wrap featuring Hungry Girl Whole Wheat Flatout Flatbread Foldits.
This recipe came about because I think we all at sometime in our lives come to the realization that we need to take better care of our bodies. Women seem to be more conscious about the food they eat than men, I know that’s the case in our house. Well with June being Men’s Health Month I thought it would be a great opportunity to take a look at some ways for us guys to eat healthier.
Breakfast is our favorite meal, so much that we often will schedule it on our meal plan for evening meals. So in an effort to makeover a recipe we have served many times we headed to the kitchen to do a little recipe development. Our goal was to keep all the flavor but modify some of the ingredients to lighten it up a bit. So we replaced the whole eggs with egg whites, and used low sodium bacon along with replacing our normal cheese with a low-fat blend. Along with these changes we switch out the butter we normally use with olive oil. And to add additional fiber we served it on the Flatout Flatbread Foldits to work with our busy, on-the-go schedules.
Using the Hungry Girl Whole Wheat Flatout Foldits also gave us less calories and carbs. So guys, what’s your plans for healthy eating? Are you making changes to how you eat? We would love to hear your ideas on how to use the Flatout Flatbread Foldits for a healthy option! Here’s a coupon to help out!!!
Simple Healthy Breakfast Tips
- Eat Breakfast – Sounds simple and it is, by eating breakfast you will limit the amount of snacking you do during the day.
- Plan Ahead – Life is hectic and when push comes to shove it’s easier to stay on track if you have made a plan. A simple menu plan can be a blessing and keep you accountable for your eating habits.
- Eat Your Eggs – Eggs are a great source of protein (more on this later), if you are watching your cholesterol levels consider eating just the egg whites.
- Oats – They are loaded with fiber which helps everything to run smooth in your body and they are a Superfood.
- Superfoods – There are about a dozen superfoods, some that you can incorporate into breakfast are berries, oats, tea (green or black), low-fat yogurt and nuts.
- Smoothies – A great way to get concentrated nutrition but be careful of the fruity ones they can be loaded with extra calories.
- Coffee or Tea made by Me – Make your own coffehouse drinks, the empty calories you consume through these can harm anybody’s weight loss efforts. And it will help you pocket book along the way.
- Modest Portions – As with any foods eating in moderation is always advised. Too much of a good thing can be bad too.
- 1 package Hungry Girl Whole Wheat Flatout Flatbread Foldits
- ½ cup Egg Whites
- ½ cup Low-fat Cheddar Cheese blend
- 5 strips Low Sodium Bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium Potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup of finely diced Green Pepper
- ½ cup of finely diced White Onion
- ½ cup of Salsa
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper and add to hot skillet, cook for 10 minutes turning occasionally to brown all sides.
- While potatoes are cooking add the bacon pieces to a small skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy.
- Then after the potatoes have cooked for their 10 minutes add the diced green peppers and white onions to the pan and reduce the heat to medium low and cover cooking an extra 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- After the bacon is nice a crispy remove from pan and allow to drain.
- Wipe the pan and proceed to cook the egg whites over medium low heat, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once everything is cook then build your wraps by layering the potatoe mixture and egg whites and topping with the bacon using the Hungry Girl Whole Wheat Flatout Flatbread Foldits as a base. Finish off the wrap with a tablespoon of your favorite salsa and a sprinkle of low-fat cheese.