We love pasta and chicken so you would think that Chicken Parmesan would be something that we regularly make for dinner. After making this last night I can guarantee this will get a place in next month’s menu plan.
We haven’t made this in a long time so I searched around and came across an easy recipe from Southern Food. This is a really budget friendly when you serve with pasta and I was able to stretch our budget even more by grabbing a family size pack of boneless chicken breasts.
We love making our own sauce when having pasta but just like everyone else with a busy life sometimes there just isn’t the time to go through the whole process involved. We’ve used many different sauces over the years, even tweaked a few to get the taste we wanted. Recently we were invited to try a couple of NEW Italian Sauces from Wolfgang Puck and I put one of them to the test with this easy and delicious Chicken Parmesan.
The recipe calls for you to pound the breasts to a thickness of 1/2 inch, it’s not desirable to have a finished piece of gargantuan size so if your chicken breast is thicker than 3/4 inch prior to pounding simply slice the breasts in half before you pound it to the thickness called for in the recipe. Also a great way to extend your budget.
Tip: Place the chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and used a large metal or wooden spoon to pound with.(Great for taking out your frustrations)
Once you have done this and breaded the breasts now comes the time to brown them in the skillet. I started off by using the olive oil they called for in the recipe but burned the breading so I switched to canola oil and found it didn’t burn as quick, also I found it necessary to brown each batch in new oil.
When you get the timing down this comes together quickly, as you are finishing browning the chicken breasts throw on a large pot of salted water for your pasta so it will be finished when you take the Parmesan Chicken from the oven.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, split and pounded to ½ inch thickness
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Mozzarella cheese, 8 slices
- 1 jar (16 ounce) Wolfgang Puck Four Cheese Italian Sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Whisk together egg and milk
- Dip chicken breast into egg and milk mixture then in bread crumbs
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown chicken on both sides until golden brown
- Place chicken in a baking dish
- Place sliced mozzarella on each chicken breast
- Spoon on Wolfgang Puck Four Cheese Italian Sauce
- Add shredded Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses to the top
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F or until bubbly
- Serve over pasta
Disclosure: We received Wolfgang Puck Italian Sauces to review. As always, the opinions are our own.
Linking to…$5 Dinner Challenge