Making soup from scratch can be an enlightening experience reminding us that some of life’s greatest pleasures need to be nurtured to enjoy them to their fullest extent. I think that after you try this Broccoli and Cheddar Soup you may just add it to your list of life’s greatest pleasures… it’s that good.
We first tried this recipe a couple of years ago after finding it over on Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures. I’ve always enjoyed this particular soup when we get the chance to go to one of our local Panera Bread Restaurants and its’ been way too long since we’ve made it there or had it at home, so after running across this recipe I decided to prepare a batch.
Adding a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese and chunks of bacon to the soup, sent it over the top!
But where you ask does the enlightening experience come into play? Well, like most everyone our schedules are squeezed to the limit and we are always looking for ways to squeeze more into less. But with this recipe you need to nurture it along the way to get the best tasting soup you’ve had in a long time.
- 5 cups of broccoli florets (3 large heads)
- 1½ cups half and half
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese for garnishing
- 6 slices of bacon cooked for garnishing
- In a large pot whisk together the half and half and flour.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a slow boil over medium heat, this can take 15 to 20 minutes. Don't rush it, whisk frequently the entire time.
- While this is coming to a boil add the broccoli florets to a microwaveable dish and add ½ cup of water and cook on high for 5 minutes and drain.
- Once mixture starts to boil stir continually with a wooden spoon until it just starts to thicken. You'll know when it has thickened enough when it just coats the spoon when removed. Usually 4-5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes stirring slowly.
- Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve hot, garnished with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and bacon.
What’s your favorite soup?