- 5 cups of broccoli florets (3 large heads)
- 1½ cups half and half
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese for garnishing
- 6 slices of bacon cooked for garnishing
- In a large pot whisk together the half and half and flour.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Bring the mixture to a slow boil over medium heat, this can take 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t rush it, whisk frequently the entire time.
- While this is coming to a boil add the broccoli florets to a microwaveable dish and add ½ cup of water and cook on high for 5 minutes and drain.
- Once mixture starts to boil stir continually with a wooden spoon until it just starts to thicken. You’ll know when it has thickened enough when it just coats the spoon when removed. Usually 4-5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes stirring slowly.
- Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve hot, garnished with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes