Tuna Macaroni Casserole is one of those family favorite, comfort foods that we all love. The simple ingredients make this a frugal addition to the family meal, are perfect for a make ahead meal and leftovers are just as tasty the next day.
I have been using this recipe almost my entire married life but often forget to add it to our menu plan. When I do serve this Doug and the boys gobble it up and I’m reminded why it’s a great dinner.
Recently I experimented with this Tuna Macaroni Casserole recipe by adding some new ingredients making the recipe even better than before.
The ingredients are simple – tuna, peas and carrots, macaroni, milk, cream of celery soup, sour cream, cheese, mustard, crackers and butter. We have been using more and more organic and natural products, and the organic products from Horizon worked out perfectly.
The mixing process is super easy. First mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl; soup, milk, sour cream and mustard. Then add the well drained tuna, cheese and frozen peas and carrots.
Fold in the cooked macaroni and mix well. This time we used Rotini macaroni, but you can easily use elbow or even penne pasta.
At this point, you can easily add the casserole to the baking pan, cover and refrigerate. You can put the casserole together in the morning for dinner, or the night before. I would not let it set more than 10 or 12 hours in fridge.
This Tuna Macaroni Casserole is baked for 40-45 minutes after the cracker topping is added. It makes a 13×9 pan full, which is plenty for a family of 4 or 6, depending on how many times they go back for seconds.
- 1 (16 oz) box Rotini pasta
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- ½ cup Horizon milk
- ¼ cup Horizon sour cream
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 1 cup shredded Horizon cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 oz) can tuna in water, drained
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 cups frozen peas & carrots
- 1 cup Horizon Original Crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cook and drain macaroni
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together soup, milk, sour cream and mustard
- Stir in cheese and tuna
- Fold in cooked macaroni
- Pour mixture into 13x9 baking dish
- Combine crushed crackers and butter, sprinkle over casserole
- Cook for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.