Lemonade…a Summertime favorite in many homes. Sitting on the front porch and enjoying the evening breeze and the company of neighbors with a glass of lemonade. What could be more refreshing than that? How does some Rosemary Lemonade Slushies grab you?
We recently turned our raised garden bed into an herb garden and will plant a larger garden this weekend. In the meantime we have been on the lookout for new ways to use the fresh herbs that we are beginning to harvest.
With the official start to Summer this weekend, you will probably have the grill fired up. It’s the perfect opportunity to surprise your guest when you add a bag full of lemons to the grill. They’re sure to gather around with curiosity and wonder but they’ll never guess what you have up your sleeve.
Grilling the lemons not only adds to the beautiful presentation of the slushie it also performs a function. When you heat the lemon halves up they swell and it helps release all the tartness of the lemon.
These Rosemary Lemonade Slushies are packed with lemons and making the simple syrup really infuses the rosemary into every sip.
- 10 large lemons
- 1-2 cups sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
- 4 rosemary sprigs, 6 inches
- 1½ cups water
- 8 cups of water
- 6 cups of ice
- Zest several lemons to make 1 tablespoon of zest
- In a small saucepan on the stove, combine 1½ cups sugar, 1½ cups water, lemon zest and rosemary
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1¼ cups
- Remove from heat and discard rosemary, cool completely
- Preheat grill to 350 - 400 degrees (medium-high)
- Cut lemons in half, place on grill cut side down and grill for about 7 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove lemons from grill, cool 10 minutes
- Squeeze juice from 9 lemons into a measuring cup to equal 1½ cups. (add additional lemon juice from a jar if necessary)
- Stir together lemon juice and rosemary syrup
- Add 8 cups cold water to pitcher and stir in lemonade mixture. Serve over ice with grilled lemon wedges and rosemary sprigs
- Add ice to blender and about 1½ cups lemonade mixture. Blend well. Add more sugar if needed. Serve with grilled lemon wedges and rosemary sprigs
This recipe is adapted from All Fired Up Cookbook