It’s that time of year…let the baking and holiday cooking begin!
One of the most used spice blends this time of year is of course a Pumpkin Spice Blend, from Grandma’s pumpkin pie to bread and cookies. It even makes it’s way in to pumpkin soup and other meals. With all of these uses it’s easy to go through a store bought bottle in no time at all. Now you could make it difficult on yourself and add the individual spices to the recipes that are found in a pumpkin spice blend if you’re only going to use it once but really, who does that.
Making your own pumpkin spice blend is easy and saves you time in the long run, plus it gives you an opportunity to adjust the ratios as you get more familiar with the spices involved. Maybe you’re a fan of cinnamon and so you might increase it in your blend or perhaps the ground ginger needs to be reduced for your familys’ tastebuds. You get the idea… here is a good pumpkin spice blend to get you started.
We’ve found that this blend from My Baking Addiction works well in most baking recipes and is a good base to make adjustments from. You could even add a little coriander to the mix if you are adapting it for a soup. Have fun experimenting and remember some of the best dishes happen by accident.
Now that you have your Pumpkin Pie Spice blend made, what are you going to use it on besides pumpkin pie?
- Add Pumpkin Pie Spice to pancakes or oatmeal for a great Fall flavor
- Pumpkin Spice Latte, like the ones that Starbucks serves, are always a hit. Here is one made with Chai Tea.
- Soups and Pasta also take on a great Fall flavor with Pumpkin Pie Spice blend
- Try some Spiced Popcorn, Pumpkin Dip or Snack Mix for a nice change to your Family Movie Night
- Pumpkin Seeds are a great snack too
- And for the adult crowd…Pumpkin Spice Margarita
- The most common use for Pumpkin Pie Spice blend…Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Bars, Cake or Cookies
- And we can’t forget Pumpkin Cupcakes…always in our house
- For more than 30 Pumpkin Recipes, head on over to Eat at Home and It’s a Blog Party for more Pumpkin Ideas.
Do you have a favorite use for Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Or subscribe by RSS