Sandwiches are one of those dishes that can be served as simple as Peanut Butter and Jelly on white bread or as fancy as a grilled panini stuffed with special ingredients. These Open Face Ham, Apple and Cheddar Sandwiches fall somewhere in between.
They are a simple sandwich to make but have incredible flavors throughout. The earthy flavor of the ham, paired with the crisp apple and white cheddar make this sandwich a winner.
Keeping this sandwich very simple, we used thinly sliced ham from the deli, but you could certainly use leftover ham or cook ham to use for several dishes. The crisp apples totally make this sandwich. A combination of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard make a delicious spread for the sandwich.
It’s the perfect time of year to head to the Apple Orchard to pick apples. We love this family outing and look forward to it every year. Join us for Apple Week as we share delicious recipes here and on Hoosier Homemade.
- Hoagie Buns or large hot dog type buns
- Ham, thinly sliced
- Apple, very thinly sliced
- White Cheddar Cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees and place the rack close to the top
- Line a cookie sheet with foil
- Place open buns on cookie
- Add ham, apple and cheese
- Place in oven just to heat through and melt cheese, about 10-15 minutes watching closely
- Mix dressing and serve on the side