I remember as a young girl, waking very early on Christmas morning, running down the stairs to find the gifts that Santa had left for me! My parents always let me look through my stocking before I ran in to wake them up.
After all the gifts were open, my Mom would prepare a delicious breakfast and serve it on fancy plates. I have continued this tradition with my own family, although life is a quite a bit busier now then back then, so this Make Ahead Sausage Casserole works out perfectly.
Not only is this Sausage Casserole really good, it’s super easy to put together. Just a quick whisk of the eggs and milk, a little mustard and salt for seasoning and it’s ready for the sausage, cheese and bread.
Now of course the holidays are a perfect time to enjoy this casserole. But really, it’s perfect anytime of year. You could even whip it up in the morning, place it in the fridge and have dinner ready for you!
If you have ever hosted a party, you know the next morning can be difficult. You are tired of cooking and cleaning. Why not whip up this Sausage Casserole to take to the Hostess!
Add the casserole mixture to a foil pan, I found this one at Walmart, they come 2 in a package with a lid. Then wrap the pan with a fun towel that the Hostess can use later in her kitchen. Tie it all up with a pretty ribbon and add a little card with cooking directions on the back.
Not only is this Sausage Casserole a perfect Hostess Gift, you could also make up several and deliver to the neighbors.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices of white bread, cubed
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook and drain sausage, set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs, add the milk, salt and mustard. Stir in the bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour into a greased baking pan (11×7) Cover and place in fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes of until knife inserted comes out clean.