Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside – these Fried Smashed Potatoes are easy to make and taste delicious! Perfect with any meal!
Oh potatoes! They are one of my favorite things, ESPECIALLY red potatoes. They are so flavorful and I love that they can be easily cooked with the skins on. If you love red potatoes as much as I do, these Fried Smashed Potatoes are going to be a new family favorite!
And the best part? With just a few simple ingredients, they are SO EASY to make and will be ready in a matter of minutes!
The first step is to cover the potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan and place on medium high heat. Boil them for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain the potatoes and let them dry.
While the potatoes are boiling, heat ¼ inch canola oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
Add five whole cloves of garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until the garlic starts to become fragrant. Remove the cloves from the oil and discard.
Smash the potatoes to a thickness of ½ to ¾ inch using the bottom of a drinking glass. This really works great and prevents you from getting burned since the inside of the potatoes will still be very hot.
Add the potatoes to the pan of hot, garlic infused oil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Remove the potatoes from the pan and place them on a draining rack with paper towels to help soak up the oil. Sprinkle them immediately with Kosher salt.
Then, add some shredded Parmesan cheese and chopped Italian parsley. The hardest part will be waiting for them to be cool enough to eat!
I absolutely LOVE these Fried Smashed Potatoes as a side with these Bold and Beautiful Steaks! To me, steak and potatoes are a marriage made in heaven.
Serve these winning recipes along with our Broccoli Grape Salad and see how all of these flavors and textures make this the most memorable meal ever.
If you LOVE these potatoes (and I know you will) check out our Garlic Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and a few other amazing potato recipes here.
- 1-1½ pounds small red potatoes
- Canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Italian parsley, fine chopped
- Boil potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes
- Drain potatoes and let dry (usually 5 to 10 minutes)
- Heat ¼ inch canola oil over medium heat in a large pan
- Add garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until you can smell the garlic then remove garlic from oil
- Smash the the potatoes flat with the palm of your hand to a thickness of ½ to ¾ inch
- Add potatoes to pan and cook 3-4 minutes, flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes
- Remove from pan and place on draining rack, sprinkle with kosher salt immediately
- Add shredded Mozzarella cheese and chopped Italian parsley