There are many traits that are passed genetically from parents to daughters, one trait is the ability to plan for special events like Valentine’s Day. Unfortunately for most men this is not a strong trait so to help the guys out we’ll share some ideas this week to help with putting together a great dinner. We’ll kick things off with these Fried Smashed Potatoes.
The inspiration for these came from Liz’s favorite Food Network chef, Giada.
These are a terrific alternative to french fries or regular fried potatoes. When done to perfection they are crispy outside and creamy inside. You can serve them plain or dress them up as much as you want. If the reaction from our son Casey is any indication, these beauties are going to be a hit, he ate this whole plate full of potatoes.
Tip: Make sure the potatoes are dry before frying to get them really crispy outside.
- 1-1½ pounds small red potatoes
- Canola oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Italian parsley, fine chopped
- Boil potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes
- Drain potatoes and let dry (usually 5 to 10 minutes)
- Heat ¼ inch canola oil over medium heat in a large pan
- Add garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until you can smell the garlic then remove garlic from oil
- Smash the the potatoes flat with the palm of your hand to a thickness of ½ to ¾ inch
- Add potatoes to pan and cook 3-4 minutes, flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes
- Remove from pan and place on draining rack, sprinkle with kosher salt immediately
- Add shredded Mozzarella cheese and chopped Italian parsley
Weekly Menu Plan
Monday – Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff and Noodles
Thursday – Breakfast Pie
Friday – Pork Burgers
Saturday – Meatloaf with Fried Smashed Potatoes
What’s on your menu this week?