This Easy Cheesy Pasta and Ham is quick, easy, cheesy and a great way to use up leftover ham. And better yet, you can make two casseroles, serve one now and freeze one for later.
Years ago I did a review on the Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms cookbook, and found it packed full of delicious recipes. This Easy Cheesy Pasta and Ham is a take on one of the recipes I shared.
The original recipe makes 2 baking dishes, one to eat now and one to freeze and eat later. But you can certainly cut the recipe in half, like I did, and have just one.
Here are some more recipes to use up leftover ham…
- 1 (16 oz) box rotini pasta, uncooked
- 2½ cups milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- Spray 13×9 pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to directions on the box, drain and return to pan
- Grate the cheese, reserving ¼ cup and cut the ham
- Warm the milk in the microwave, set aside
- In a large skillet, melt the butter, add the flour and whisk for one minute
- Slowly add the milk, whisk constantly.
- Turn the heat up to medium and stir until thickened
- Slowly add the cheese, whisk until melted after each addition
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper
- Stir ham and cheese sauce into the pasta, mix well
- Transfer to baking dish and spread evenly
- Sprinkle with reserved cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until bubbly
- If you make this meal ahead, take the dish from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake, covered for 20 – 30 minutes or until bubbly
- After dish is cool, wrap tightly with foil, label and freeze.
- Remove from freezer 24 hours before cooking