Chicken nuggets are all the rage around our house, we’ve tried several recipes over the years, from Baked Chicken Nuggets to Liz’s favorite Shanghai Wings. And lately the boys have been on a Buffalo Sauce trend.
So when I spied the recipe for these Buffalo Chicken Bites, I thought what a perfect time to give them a try with the football season kicking off and tailgating getting into full swing.
We love to roast two whole chickens at the same time, we’ve got the stove going and it doesn’t take that much more effort and energy than one bird. But 9 times out of 10 we’ve got enough leftover chicken for one maybe two meals depending on how we stretch it. This recipe may just be the king of stretching leftovers. It only takes 2 large chicken breasts to make about 36 Chicken Bites.
We made some changes from the original recipe, shared by Sweet Pea’s Kitchen, to satisfy our family’s tastes. I’ve always had a thing about using cereal as a coating on meat of any kind, let’s face it cereal is for breakfast and belongs in a bowl with milk…in my opinion. And the boys wanted the Chicken Bites deep fried not baked, hey their choice and we worked from there.
I know that true Buffalo Chicken afficionados only eat their chicken with a blue cheese dipping sauce but we prefer Ranch dressing, so we made some homemade just for these… we’ll be sharing the recipe with everyone next week.
Next time, and yes these definitely will get another spot on a future tailgate or Friday night Appetizer dinner, I don’t think I’ll roll the mixture into balls, I think I’ll try to make them a little like drop cookies. It just looks a little to uniform for what I like. Weird, huh…
- 3 cups shredded cooked Chicken
- ¼ to ½ hot sauce, to taste
- 3½ ounces softened Cream Cheese
- 1¾ cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cup chopped Green Onion, less if you get tired of chopping
- 1 cup all-purpose Flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1½ - 2 cups Bread Crumbs
- In a large bowl and mix together the chicken,cream cheese,cheddar cheese,green onions and hot sauce.
- Scoop chicken mixture using a 2 tablespoon cookie dough scoop, then roll into balls
- Set up a breading station with three shallow dishes, one each for the flour, eggs and bread crumbs.
- Dip each ball into the flour followed by the egg and finish with the bread crumbs.
- Add 1½ inches of canola oil in a deep pan and heat to 275 degrees over medium heat. Cook in small batches for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Keep warm in a 300 degree oven.
- Serve with Ranch dressing or other dipping sauce of your choice
Looking for more Tailgating Recipes? Check out our Tailgate Fridays!