Happy Tuesday! I hope you all enjoyed your holiday weekend! Ours was hot, but great! For the next few days we will be sharing Camping Food with you. Whether you pitch a tent in the backyard, enjoy a stay-cation on home or if you are loading up the camper to head to the park, these recipes will be a perfect addition to your menu!
We are kicking off Camping Week with these fun to make Breakfast Hobo Pies. After making the Easy Fried Pies a couple weeks ago, it reminded me of the times that my Mom would make little pies filled with cherries or blueberries, when we were camping. But we needed to find a Hobo Pie Maker, so we headed to the camping aisle at Walmart and sure enough, we found it.
Now we needed to figure out how we could cook breakfast in the Hobo Pie Maker, we found several ways but none that worked for what we had in mind. So after a few tries at making pies… we figured out the best way to make Breakfast Hobo Pies.
Let me show you how easy they are…
We did discover a few tricks during the process…
- Spraying cooking oil on the Hobo Pie Maker made it easier to remove after cooking
- We tried using spray butter but it didn’t work as well as a good old fashioned knife and butter
- If you plan on adding the sausage like we did cook it ahead of time
- We found that cracking the egg in a bowl and whisking it slightly was better than cracking it directly onto the bread
Now let’s touch on some of the tips for cooking hobo pies…
- Let your fire burn for awhile and get a nice bed of hot coals
- Since campfires/firepits don’t normally come with a thermostat it is difficult to regulate the heat so cooking times are going to vary but it’s going to average between 4-8 minutes to cook each Hobo Pie
- Flip often, every 15 seconds. I know it sound excessive but I found it to be the best way to cook them without burning
- Once the egg is done place the Hobo Pie Maker directly on to hot coals for 5-10 seconds each side to brown the outside of the Hobo Pie
- Sliced bread
- Cheese slices
- Sausage patties, cooked
- Spray the inside of the hob pie maker with cooking oil
- Butter one side of each piece of bread
- Place in the pie maker buttered side down
- To one side add cheese slice and cooked sausage patty
- Whisk egg in a bowl and pour over sausage and cheese, assemble both sides together
- Cook over campfire 4-8 minutes turning frequently, finish cooking by placing on hot coals for 5-10 seconds on each side
Follow along all this week as we share yummy Camping Recipes, How to build a tent, and of course desserts over on Hoosier Homemade. Check out the fun Campfire Cupcakes!
Linking to… Gooseberry Patch