We are kicking off Camping Week with these fun to make Breakfast Hobo Pies. Whether you pitch a tent in the backyard, enjoy a stay-cation at home or if you are loading up the camper to head to the park, these recipes will be a perfect addition to your menu.
After making the Easy Fried Pies, they reminded me of the times that my Mom would make little pies filled with cherries or blueberries, when we were camping. The Iron Sandwich Cooker – aka Hobo Pie Maker – come in aluminum or iron. We suggest the iron, they cost a bit more initially but they will last a lot longer.
There are endless recipes that can be made in the maker – sandwiches of all kinds, and of course dessert too.
Now we needed to figure out how we could cook breakfast in the Hobo Pie Maker, we found several ways but none that worked for what we had in mind. So after a few tries at making pies… we figured out the best way to make Breakfast Hobo Pies.
First we need the ingredients for the Hobo Pies – bread (we found white bread worked the best), sausage (cooked), cheese, eggs and butter for spreading.
Let me show you how easy they are…
- Spread butter on one side of the bread (2 slices)
- Whisk 1 egg and pour onto bread
- Top with cheese – we used Jalapeno or Cheddar
- Top with sausage
We did discover a few tricks during the process…
- Spraying cooking oil on the Hobo Pie Maker made it easier to remove after cooking
- We tried using spray butter but it didn’t work as well as a good old fashioned knife and butter
- If you plan on adding the sausage use fully cooked sausage or cook it before using it in the Hobo Pies
- We found that cracking the egg in a bowl and whisking it slightly was better than cracking it directly onto the bread
Now let’s touch on some of the tips for cooking hobo pies…
- Let your fire burn for awhile and get a nice bed of hot coals
- Since campfires/fire pits don’t normally come with a thermostat it is difficult to regulate the heat so cooking times are going to vary but it’s going to average between 4-8 minutes to cook each Hobo Pie
- Flip often, every 15 seconds. I know it sound excessive but I found it to be the best way to cook them without burning
- Once the egg is done place the Hobo Pie Maker directly on to hot coals for 5-10 seconds each side to brown the outside of the Hobo Pie
- Cooking Spray
- Sliced bread
- Cheese slices
- Sausage patties, cooked
- Spray the inside of the hob pie maker with cooking spray
- Butter one side of each piece of bread
- Place in the pie maker buttered side down
- Whisk egg in a bowl and pour over bread
- Top with cheese, and sausage
- Close maker tightly
- Cook over campfire 4-8 minutes turning frequently, finish cooking by placing on hot coals for 5-10 seconds on each side