These Sweet & Spicy Baked Beans are not your typical Baked Beans. Made with three kinds of beans and extra flavor from special seasoning and sauce, they will quickly become your go-to recipe!
With all the Potlucks, Picnics and Family Reunions during the Summer months, you’ll have plenty of reasons and opportunities to give these a try. A perennial staple at family reunions these baked beans pack a whallop. A tasty whallop that is, the brown sugar blends together with the barbecue sauce and just a hint of seasoning from the addition of the steak seasoning give this Baked Beans Recipe a complex yet familiar flavor.
The sweet thing about this recipe is that this is a terrific base recipe for baked beans. Getting a unique taste every time you make these is as easy as changing the types of beans you use or even swapping the other ingredients for a bolder, even spicier flavor.
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup bottled salsa
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup mustard, (yellow, spicy brown,)
- 1½ teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 28 ounce can pork and beans, undrained
- 1 16 ounce can pinto beans, butter beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16 ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine together in a large bowl the brown sugar, ketchup, salsa, barbecue sauce, mustard and steak seasoning.
- Stir in the beans and onions.
- Place mixture into a lightly greased 3 quart casserole baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, remove foil and stir.
- Bake an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour until the beans are cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Beans will thicken as they cool.
Recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens Make & Take Magazine