We must confess…we love fried foods in our house! But we also know that frying foods in oil really isn’t the best for us. One of our family’s favorites are Shanghai Wings, the bite size pieces of chicken are great even without the Asian sauce. Of course, most of the family prefers them with the sauce, our oldest eats them just plain.
Since cooking with oil and frying is one of our favorites, we were excited when Cookwell Healthy Cooking Oils wanted to re-make our recipe for Shanghai Wings. A couple months ago we sent the recipe to their chef, Jake Fisher and he worked his magic changing the recipe to make it better for us.
One of the tips that Chef Jake shared with us, was to add a tablespoon cornstarch to the flour before frying, it will help your food from becoming saturated with oil.
Most of the ingredients were basically the same, but with just a little change, the Shanghai Wings were made healthier for us. The Cookwell Fry Plus was the biggest change. We also changed all-purpose flour to whole wheat and added the Panko.
Cookwell Oils offers a wide variety of Healthy Cooking Oils great for dipping, basting, baking and frying.
We used the Fry Plus Cooking Oil, which is a heart-healthy, all-natural alternative frying oil. It’s the perfect frying blend of canola, grapeseed and safflower oils. It’s used in deep frying, high in polyunsaturated fats and a source of omega-6 and omega-3, essential fatty acids.
Our gift basket was complete with 3 different kinds of the Cookwell Healthy Cooking Oils…Fry Plus, one for baking with Canola Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Blend, and one for dipping with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar.
We also like the fact that each bottle is clearly marked what the oil is best suited for…baking, frying, dipping or basting, the flavor and the temperature it will tolerate.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Cookwell Fry Plus for frying
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup Panko
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer
- Place flour in a pan with salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika and cornstarch
- Whisk egg in a bowl
- Place Panko on a clean plate or bowl
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat to 325-350 degrees
- Dip chicken in seasoned flour, then egg, Panko and into hot oil, repeat for all chicken
- Cook chicken for 4-6 minutes, depending on the size of chicken pieces, until golden brown
- Drain on paper towels, serve immediately with sauce
For more recipes using Cookwell Healthy Cooking Oils, check out these fellow Walmart Moms…
You can find Cookwell Healthy Cooking Oils at your local Walmart stores.
Submit your recipe for a Healthy Makeover and you could win one of 10 $500 prize packages!