Here’s the scene, we’re out on our weekly supply trip for the business, more often than not our youngest son is tagging along. We stop to grab a bite and the hostess of the fine eating establishment shows us to our table. After perusing the menu we relax. What happens next? We each pull our smartphones from our pockets and stare at our screens.
This scene is repeated countless number of times everyday across the world, in restaurants and homes in every city you can imagine. The ability to be connected to the outside world through our devices has had a profound effect on how we interact with our friends and family. Many times in a negative way. We think that it gives us the ability to stay in touch with individuals far away when some of the most important discussions happen with the people sitting directly across from you.
We are no different than many parents, with the hectic schedules we have between our business and three active sons the goal is to make meal time as quick and unobtrusive as possible to get on with our busy lives. But in doing so there have been times we have sacrificed really being together and discussing the days’ events. Combine that with the distractions that our phones and tablets cause and you can lose touch with one another’s lives. And is that tweet or like more important than talking to each other and learn of their dreams and goals. I think not.
There’s a movement happening! One that challenges you to take one day, no just one meal a week to Disconnect to Reconnect with your family. To make the commitment all your family needs is to take the pledge to share at least one technology free meal a week.
We’ve taken the pledge!
Here are a few facts…
- Studies show that kids who eat with their families often are happier than those who don’t.
- Family traditions are often born during family meals.
- Daily mealtime communication strengthens the family bond. It’s also how generations pass along cultural and ethnic heritage.
One of our favorite dinner meals is to have breakfast for dinner. There’s just so many options that you can serve that everyone loves it and we’ve got a great giveaway for you…
One (1) Lucky Pocket Change Gourmet Reader Will Win The Following
- a Presto Jumbo Cool Touch electric griddle
- a 7-piece kitchen utensil set with stand
- Family Talk conversation game
- Smucker’s Strawberry Natural Squeeze jam
- JIF Creamy Peanut Putter
- JIF Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Folger’s Classic Roast
- Hungry Jack Breakfast Syrup
- 2 packs Hungry Jack Complete Pancake and Waffle Mix
- 2 packs Martha White Banana Nut Muffin Mix
- Crisco No-Stick Cooking Spray
- Martha White All-Purpose Flour
Entries only accepted on this page. Facebook, Twitter or email entries do not count. Open to US Residents only.
Please note that if you are enjoying this post via email subscription or in a reader, you will need to visit the blog to enter