We are big fans of meatballs – we like them with barbecue sauce on them, with our spaghetti, made with bourbon whiskey sauce, fried, baked, served as appetizers or even as a main dish. Pretty much any way you serve them, our family loves them. And what’s not to love, right?
With all the delicious apples in season right now, it was a perfect time to give these Pork and Apple Meatballs a try!
Along with the Pork, these meatballs have the added crunch of a Honey Crisp Apple, Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Stuffing Mix and Onions for added flavor. To hold them together – chicken broth and an egg. We served them with barbecue sauce on the side for a little extra zip.
And just like other meatballs recipes, these Pork and Apple Meatballs can be made up ahead, cooked and frozen for a super quick meal. Or perhaps to serve at a party.
Fall produce season has begun at your local Walmart, and there are many different varieties of apples like Honey Crisp, Sweet Tango, Bartlett, Red Delicious and more.
Walmart is also offering these cute little tote bags filled with apples. Each apple variety is uniquely suited to specific uses because of its’ flavor profile and characteristics of the apple itself, firmness of flesh and how the sugars in the fruit convert when it is used in cooking.
Last year we shared the Guide to Apples and their Uses. Which one is your favorite?
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1¼ cups pork flavored stuffing mix
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup (1 medium) Honeycrisp Apple, cored, peeled and diced finely
- ½ cup onions, diced finely
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ teaspoon mustard
- ½ cup sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Barbecue Sauce, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray
- Mix all ingredients except barbecue sauce in a large bowl
- Use a small cookie dough scoop or ice cream scoop to form balls
- Roll into a ball and place on cookie sheet
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until pork is no longer pink
- Serve with barbecue sauce if desired
Recipe adapted from Gooseberry Patch Cookbook