We don’t eat alot of fish in our house, I suppose it has something to do with when Liz was pregnant and certain smells really set her off or the misconception that fish is difficult to prepare. Even today, when she walked into the kitchen, she noticed the smell before I could get them in the oven. These Old Bay Tilapia Bites are super simple to prepare in the oven and use only a handful of ingredients to get to the table, making them a tasty healthy choice for the family.
We adapted this recipe from our friend Amy over at Mom Advice so I knew it would be easy on our budget and tasty at the same time. These are a great choice for kids, fun to eat and the Tilapia has a mild flavor with just enough spices from the Old Bay Seasoning to let you know it’s there.
When we decided to share these with you one of our first thoughts was to substitute the store bought Old Bay Seasoning with a home blend of Old Bay. There are several recipes out there and they all looked good.
But as I was going through the spice cabinet to make sure we had all that was needed I soon realized we only had half the spices it call for.
So off to the store and uh-oh sticker shock… to make the seasoning I was going to have to spend well over 30 dollars which made no sense for our budget seeing how at least two of the spices would loose their potency before we would even come close to using them up.
Old Bay Seasoning to the rescue, you can’t go wrong in this circumstance spending less than $2 for enough to have several meals. But if you are still interested here is a recipe for it from Food.com.
Of course we had to pair these with our own Cheddar Hush Puppies that we’ll be sharing next week so you will want to subscribe to our newsletter ’cause you don’t want to miss them.
- 1½ pound of Tilapia fillets
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- salt & Pepper
- Cut Tilapia fillets into 1 inch size bites
- In a shallow bowl lightly beat 2 eggs and season with salt and pepper (a pinch or two of both).
- In another large bowl mix together the bread crumbs, Old Bay Seasoning and olive oil.
- Dunk Tilapia pieces in egg and transfer to large bowl with bread crumb mixture.
- Toss Tilapia with a large spoon coating well.
- Cook for 15 minutes in a 375 F oven, rotating from top of oven to the bottom.
Do you serve Fish during Lent? Share your recipes with us?