If Meatball Stroganoff is not on your list of comfort foods you don’t know what you could be missing. I’m a big fan of creamy sauces and the full bodied flavors they lend to foods and while you can easily substitute store bought ingredients in this recipe to reduce the work, a little pre-planning on your part will reward you with a dish that tastes like it came from grandma’s kitchen.
We prepared the meatballs ahead of time as well as our Cream of Mushroom Soup so preparing this meal in the evening after all our kids activities was quick and easy. The entire cooking time takes 15-20 minutes if you boil your noodles while putting the Stroganoff together.
I’ve made several variations of this recipe in the past and have learned that the sour cream can be overpowering to what we like so this time I reduced the amount by half and found the taste to our liking.
By making our own Cream of Mushroom Soup and meatballs allows us to change the ingredients to satisfy our ever changing tastes. Plus isn’t it nice to know exactly what is going into your family’s diet.
- 2 pounds meatballs, homemade
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cups Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces of sour cream
- ½-1 cup half & half
- 6 cups of cooked wide egg noodles
- Saute onion over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add the homemade cream of mushroom soup, pepper to pot.
- Stir cream cheese into mixture until melted, stir in sour cream.
- Add meatballs and heat through.
- Add half & half to desired consistency.
- Serve over noodles.
Do you have a favorite Stroganoff recipe? We’d love to hear from you.
Linking to…$5 Dinner Challenge