There is nothing like a classic to warm you up and make everyone in the family smile! These Make Ahead Sloppy Joes are perfect for a family meal or a crowd. And since you can toss them together ahead of time, they make a super easy meal during this busy holiday season.
I’ve been serving these Sloppy Joes to my family for several years now, after receiving the Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms Cookbook. It’s a cookbook that I love and have used it over and over again.
There is a little chopping involved, but it isn’t much and the recipe goes together in a snap.
After the celery, onion and pepper are chopped, toss them into the pan with the ground beef and fry it up.
Then it’s into the Crockpot it goes, mixed together with the barbecue sauce, tomato sauce and spices. At this point you can heat the Sloppy Joes on low for a couple hours and have dinner on the table in no time, mix all the ingredients and cook on the stove top or just mix all the ingredients together, place in an airtight container and store in the fridge or even freeze them for another meal.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- ⅔ cup onion, finely diced
- ⅔ cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup Barbecue Sauce (Bull’s Eye or your favorite)
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, celery, onion and green pepper, until beef is cooked through.
- Drain the fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except hamburger buns (of course).
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl to cool.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to reheat or freeze in labeled freezer bags, freeze flat.
- Reheat in microwave or on the stove top
- Serve on buns