We continue our tour around the United States today, in celebration of the upcoming Fourth of July holiday! Yesterday we were visiting the south for a Buttermilk Fried Chicken recipe and today we head to the north west part of the country, to Idaho where potatoes are plentiful.
This Loaded Baked Potato Salad has the flavors of traditional potato salad but all the extra special ingredients that sends it over the top.
Along with potatoes, this salad has bacon, cheese, sour cream and green onions, making it taste like a classic loaded baked potato. With the Fourth of July holiday right around the corner, there is sure to be a potluck or picnic that you can serve this salad.
We are huge baked potato fans, in fact, we often have a Baked Potato Bar with a couple appetizers for dinner, it’s one of their favorite meals.
In a traditional potato salad, the potatoes are boiled, but with this Loaded Baked Potato Salad, the potatoes are baked, giving the salad a rich flavor. And the addition of bacon adds flavor as well as a crispy texture.
Stay tuned as we travel around the United States and share American Recipes for 4th of July!
- 8-10 potatoes (about 1 potato per person, depending on size of potato)
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 4-6 green onions, sliced thinly
- Oil for brushing on potatoes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees - or you can cook the potatoes in the Slow Cooker, directions below
- Poke potatoes with fork, brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Bake in oven until tender, about 1 hour
- Cool and cut into bite size pieces
- While the potatoes are cooling, cook the bacon
- In a large bowl, combine butter, mayo and sour cream, stir in bacon, cheese and green onions.
- Stir in potatoes, add more salt & pepper to taste if necessary
Recipe adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine