With the hectic lifestyle we live these days food has sometimes become a matter of convenience but making your own Cream of Mushroom Soup is a great way to ensure that only the best ingredients are used and while it’s savory to eat the most common use around our house is as a base in many casseroles and sauces.
This particular recipe is from Taste of Home and I’ve found it to be a very reliable one that has yet to fail us. You can adjust this to fit your tastes and if you’re making this as a true soup add some additional milk to the recipe and adjust the cooking time to prevent the soup from getting too thick.
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in water; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour.
- Gradually add milk and reserved broth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in cream cheese until melted and soup is heated through.
Stop back tomorrow when I’ll share one of my favorite uses of this creamy soup.
Do you make your own soup bases for your recipes? What are your favorite soups to add to your recipes? Let’s Talk.