Homemade Croutons are some of the simplest pantry items to make. Once you catch the bug and realize the endless favor combinations that can be blended together you won’t be able to stop.
I have to have something with some crunch with my Soups and Salads, whether it’s saltine crackers (Liz makes fun of the amount I use with Soup and Salad, most times an entire sleeve) or a thickly crusted bread.
I had some Rustico Rosemary Loaf which is perfect for this purpose, so after cooking up a fresh loaf and letting it cool overnight I got busy and in just a matter of 5 minutes I had these morsels crisping up in the oven. Since the bread I was using already had the Rosemary baked into it I was able to save a step and not add any additional herbs as the recipe calls for.
This recipe makes a huge amount for just a few pennies, the only ingredient you may not have is the Seasoned Rice Vinegar because face it, we all have some day old bread laying around the house and the seasonings should reside in every well stocked pantry.
- 8 ounces of Deli Bread
- ¼ cup of Nakano Roasted Garlic Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- Garlic Powder or Onion Powder
- Crushed dried rosemary, dill or basil, or chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Slice the roll into ½-inch thick slices
- Pour seasoned rice vinegar into a small bowl
- Generously brush both sides of bread with vinegar
- Sprinkle lightly on both sides with onion powder and one herb; or use chili powder
- Cut each slice of bread into ½-inch wide strips, then into cubes
- Spread cubes out on a baking pan
- Bake 7-8 minutes or until light golden brown
- Remove from oven and stir.
- Cool in pan about 10 minutes
- Croutons will stay crunchy for a week or more stored at room temperature in a sealed plastic bag or plastic container.
For more recipes and products,visit Nakano.com
These are so simple to make that once your give this a try you won’t want store bought again. What seasoning and herb combination is your favorite?
Disclosure: I’m a Mizkan Blogger Advocate and this is a compensated post. All the opinions and photos are my own.
Linking to…Transformation Thursday