Nothing warms you up like a good bowl of homemade soup! With just a little prep, you can have this Homemade Beef and Barley Soup simmering away in the Slow Cooker. Or if you are in a hurry, cook it on the stove top, either way it’s a hearty and delicious soup!
Doug could eat soup everyday, for me though I like my soup to be filling, full of lots of yummy vegetables and tender meat. I think enjoying soup comes from your childhood, Doug grew up with a Mom who made soup at least once a week for dinner, and while I remember my Mom cooking soup, I don’t remember having it very often. But let’s face it, it’s easy to make, good for us and budget friendly too, pair it with a crusty bread and you have a meal.
- 1½ pounds Beef Stew meat, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ cup of celery, diced
- ½ cup of carrot, sliced
- ½ cup of onion, diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 leaves fresh basil
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- ¾ - 1 cup pearl barley
- Heat a heavy skillet on the stove with a little oil, add the beef and season with salt and pepper, brown on all sides several minutes
- Add meat and vegetables to the Slow Cooker
- Pour in the beef broth and add fresh herbs, cook for 4-6 hours on low
- Add barley and continue cooking 45 minutes - 1 hour or until barley is tender
Visit our Soup Pinterest Board for more great recipes!