One of the most popular New Year’s Resolutions made is to get healthy, it’s usually on just about everyone’s list. Getting healthy and eating better go hand in hand, but just because you need to eat healthy doesn’t mean you need to miss out on flavor.
Salad is often healthy, but if you pile it up with calories of tasty toppings, often it you make it unhealthier than a normal meal. Ground turkey and baked tortilla chips keeps this Healthy Taco Salad lean, while the pinto beans and corn add beneficial fiber, all of which combine for a flavorful salad that’s still healthy. You don’t have to sacrifice flavor for your health!
Not only is this Healthy Taco Salad packed with flavor and good for you, it’s also a quick meal, on the table in less than 30 minutes. Salsa is great to serve on the side or make your own for an even healthier meal.
- 12 ounces uncooked ground turkey
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole corn
- 1 cup bottled or homemade salsa
- ¼ cup water
- 4-6 cups shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1 cup baked tortilla chips
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Over medium heat, cook ground turkey about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.Drain off fat
- Stir in beans, corn, salsa and water.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes to blend flavors
- Add lettuce to plate or bowls, top with hot turkey mixture, sprinkle with cheese and chips
- Serve immediately with low fat sour cream, if desired
Looking for more healthy recipes? This Healthy Taco Salad recipe came from Kid Favorites Made Healthy Cookbook.
Linking to…Gooseberry Patch