The perfect appetizer for parties, football tailgating, holidays and more! Whip up these delicious Jalapeno Poppers with Bacon using just a few ingredients.
I’ve been making these for parties and tailgaters for a few years now. The recipe has progressed with my growing interest in adding some new flavors to it. When I first made these it was a simple 3-ingredient process… jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon. The recipe has evolved to include a few more ingredients but it’s not a complicated process and takes just minutes to prepare.
First you’ll need to slice your Jalapenos length wise, I like to leave the stems on to give a little handle to hold on to while you’re eating them. Then clean the seeds and white fleshy parts out of the peppers. This is where the heat comes from so if you like them a little hot you can leave some.
TIP: wear gloves while doing this or at least wash your hands afterwards, the oils in the pepper will stay on your hands and if you rub your eyes…oooboy does it burn.
Next blend the green onion, garlic and kosher salt into the cream cheese after you have allowed it to soften. I like to take the cream cheese out of the package and put it in a microwaveable bowl and after a few seconds in the microwave oven on high it is softened enough to blend together. After you have the cream cheese mixture well blended, add it to the jalapenos with a knife or spatula,
Next sprinkle with Queso Fresca Cheese or Fresh Mozzarella.
Wrap the whole Jalapeno Pepper with a strip if bacon and secure with a toothpick.
We used our Lodge Logic Professional Pro Grid/Iron Griddle in the oven. You can also use a heavy cookie sheet, and the Poppers can also be grilled. I would suggest putting them on a griddle of some kind if you are grilling them so they don’t fall through the grate.
- 8 - 10 Jalapeno peppers
- 8 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons Green Onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 6 oz. Queso Fresca Cheese or Fresh Mozzarella
- 10 slices Bacon, cut in half
- Cut Jalapenos length wise and remove seeds and white fleshy parts
- Blend together the Cream Cheese, Green Onion, Garlic and Kosher Salt
- Add cream cheese miixture to jalapenos
- Crumble and add Queso Fresca Cheese to top
- Wrap with ½ strip of bacon and secure with toothpick
- Preheat cast iron griddle to 375 to 400 degrees
- Place poppers on griddle and cook for 25 to 30 minutes
Let’s talk…What’s your go to appetizer for a tailgate? Do you like your peppers hot or mild?