The beginning of grilling season is upon us. Oh sure, we could have been grilling all Winter, but with our below zero temps and piles of snow, who wants to venture outside to fire up the grill. So now that the weather has turned a little warmer, Doug has been itching to start grilling again.
One of the best way to stretch your grocery dollar is to get 2 meals from one meat purchase. It also cuts down on time in the kitchen, which is always a great thing. Our Grill Once-Eat Twice series begins today with Pork Steak.
Pork Steak is one of those meats that is often overlooked, I know we don’t grill it very often. It’s really versatile though. For these two recipes, we grilled 4 large pieces of Pork Steak after marinating them overnight in a mixture of soy sauce, agave syrup, garlic and ginger.
The second part of our meal was actually also a cook once – eat twice. By cooking the whole bag of rice, we were able to create the side dish to go with the Pork Steak and have plenty leftover for the Fried Rice.
Our first meal was the Grilled Pork Steak and Rice with Asparagus and Mushrooms.
And the second meal uses the leftover rice and pork steak in a delicious Pork Fried Rice, that can be served with a salad.
- Pork Steak
- ½ Cup Soy Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- ⅓ Cup Agave Syrup or honey
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ginger Root, minced
- Place pork steak in a large resealable bag or container
- In a small bowl, combine all other ingredients
- Pour over pork steak, seal bag and massage to incorporate ingredients
- Marinate several hours or overnight
- Heat grill to medium high
- Grill about 5-7 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the pork
- 3 cups rice, cooked and cooled
- 3-4 green onions, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 pound pork steak, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- ½ can bean sprouts, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, minced
- Cook and cool rice or use leftover rice
- Cut cooked pork steak into small pieces
- Heat oil in large skillet add rice, pork steak, onions, peas and carrots and cook until lightly brown
- Add soy sauce, garlic and ginger, stir together
- Add bean spouts and stir
- Heat through