Ever since Liz came home from one of her trips to Arkansas she has talked about P.F. Changs and their Fried Green Beans. All I’ve heard for the past few months is how yummy these are and how she wishes that we had one of their restaurants located by us. Well with the closest one located over 60 miles away I thought I’d be better off making these at home.
So I set off on my quest for my lady….
After doing a little research I felt I had enough information to give it a try. My research confirmed two common ingredients, buttermilk and cornmeal. I liked the idea of using these two in combination, I wanted a nice coating but didn’t want to have it over power the green beans.
Also all the recipes I gathered for inspiration had salt and various spices, some more than others. Some of the combinations reminded me of the spice combination we use for our Shanghai Wings and knowing how well that is liked I decided to duplicate that for these.
Off to the kitchen for the first batch, they were ok, Liz didn’t like the texture of the cornmeal too much and I thought they needed a little more kick in the spices.
Back to the cutting board, (like that little play on words? chuckle, chuckle). To help kick up the spice I added salt and cayenne pepper to the buttermilk and let it marinate for a while, say 15 to 20 minutes should do it. Then we added an equal amount of flour to the cornmeal mix to modify the breading texture.
Cooked up the second batch and EUREKA!!! These are amazing!
I put together a couple of simple dipping sauces to go along with them… I added 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise to 2 bowls and added a teaspoon of red chili pepper sauce to one and a teaspoon of Asian toasted sesame dressing to the other.
The only thing I’m going to change for next time we fix these is to grab an extra hand full of green beans, we’ll need them!!
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the buttermilk mixture
- Prepare your green beans, snap the ends off and rinse in cold water
- Pat dry on paper towels
- Toss green beans in the buttermilk mixture and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes
- In another large bowl combine the ingredients for breading mixture
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of cooking oil in a deep pan to 375 F
- Transfer the green beans to the breading mixture and coat well
- Re-dip in buttermilk and breading mixture
- Once oil is at temperature cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown
Are you hosting a Football Party this weekend? These Fried Green Beans would be a great addition!
Linking to… Ingredient Spotlight