Little known fact, our sons’ favorite pasta meal is Fettuccine Alfredo. When we make it from scratch here’s the easy Alfredo Sauce Recipe we use.
If you think that it is too difficult to make this easy Alfredo sauce recipe let me assure you that anybody can make this sauce in a saucepan on their stove top. I won’t try to fool you into thinking that we don’t occasionally use store bought Alfredo sauce but we definitely prefer this over the stuff you buy in the store.
When adding the ingredients to your grocery list it will be a short list. There are only a handful of ingredients needed to make homemade Alfredo sauce. Heavy cream, butter and Parmesan cheese form the base of this sauce and where you take it from there depends on your own personality. We love garlic so it’s always in the sauce but you can add just about anything else you want.
But we are keeping this a quick and easy Alfredo sauce recipe so we’ll just go over the basics to show you how to make your own.
To get started find your heaviest bottomed sauce pan. Since we are using heavy cream and butter as the base for this sauce you don’t want to use a thin pan, it will scorch the cream if you are not careful. I’m also using my new Saucepan Chef kitchen utensils, they are the sturdiest cooking utensils I’ve ever found. And the handles don’t become hot, even if you leave them setting on the edge of the pan. I know because this is how I like to cook, leaving the spoon or spatula on the edge so I don’t make more of a mess on the stovetop.
Add the heavy cream along with all the butter to your pan and slowly heat them, stirring as the temperature increases. Just look for when all the yellow droplets from the melted butter disappear then you are ready to add the cheese.
Now slowly add the Parmesan cheese, a little amount at a time, stirring and letting it melt before you add more. If you are adding any special touches now is a good time to do that, this is when we add the garlic.
Now almost every time we make this we get a different consistency. I think it’s simply because of the difference in the ingredients from time to time so we always adjust the consistency by adding water from the cooking pasta until we get it how we want. Just add a tablespoon or two at a time until it’s how you want it.
That’s it, really it’s a very simple and easy Alfredo sauce recipe. And you can completely customize to your taste.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 stick of butter
- 8 ounces shaved or shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- water, enough to bring to the consistency you prefer
- Add heavy cream and butter to heavy bottomed sauce pan and warm up over low heat til the butter completely melts.
- Slowly add Parmesan cheese in small increments letting each addition melt before adding more.
- Add garlic and let simmer.
- Add pasta water to bring sauce to consistency you prefer.
Did you see the spoon and ladle in the pictures above? They are from Saucepan Chef, let me tell you some more about them.
- Non-stick and dishwasher safe
- Made of Rayon which makes them more durable than other utensils and is the reason they don’t transfer heat through the handle
- Heavy duty
- The set includes a spoon, spatula, slotted spoon, ladle, knife and spork
- Each utensil has a one year money back guarantee