Tomatoes are one of the easiest vegetables to can. Whether you are a beginner and new to canning, or an avid fan of canning, you will love these Canning Tomatoes Recipes.
Last week we shared our Canning Tips for Beginners and I mentioned that I had been on the Indianapolis TV and shared these canned Herbed Tomatoes. Since they were super easy, and turned out so delicious, I knew you would want the recipe.
Tomatoes are often canned in a Pressure Canner because of the low acid in the tomatoes, however these canning tomatoes recipes can be canned in a Water Bath Canner making them really easy.
The same method is used for all three of these Herbed Tomatoes Recipes – Mexican, Italian and Cajun. This time we made the Mexican Herbed Tomatoes. The only difference in the process is the different spices you will need.
We used our new favorite kitchen appliance, FreshTech Electric Water Bath Canner + Multi-Cooker, for canning the tomatoes. If you are new to canning using a Water Bath method, you can see exactly how to do it on our Spicy Corn Salsa Recipe.
While the jars were heating, we prepared the tomatoes by boiling them on the stove for about 5 minutes. Then the spice blend and Citric Acid was added to the hot jars, and the tomatoes were packed into each jar. We continued with the canning process which took about 40 minutes and the Mexican Herbed Tomatoes were ready.
We love Mexican food at our house, and have it at least once a week for dinner. These canned tomatoes will go great in our Taco Soup and to add to taco meat for Taco Night. Watch for our Slow Cooker Taco Meat Filling Recipe later this week!
- 6 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1-1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 4 tsp basil
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2-1/2 tsp oregano
- 1-1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1-1/2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes,optional
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1-1/2 tsp onion flakes
- 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1-1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 cups tomatoes, peeled, cored and halved
- Ball Citric Acid
- Prepare jars in Water Bath Canner
- Add tomatoes to large saucepan and add just enough water to cover
- Bring to boil and boil gently for 5 minutes
- Add spice blend to each jar
- Mexican - 2½ teaspoons; Italian - 2¼ teaspoons; Cajun - 2 teaspoons
- Add ¼ teaspoon Citric Acic to each jar
- Pack tomatoes into each jar leaving ½ inch headspace
- Ladle hot cooking liquid over tomatoes, leaving ½ inch headspace
- Continue with canning process (wiping jars, adding lids and bands)
- Process in water bath canner for 40 minutes
- Remove jars and cool
Original Recipe from FreshPreserving.com