Looking for a delicious family favorite recipe to use up leftover ham? This Broccoli and Ham Casserole is perfect!
I don’t know about you, but having leftover ham from Easter is one of my favorite things. Sometimes, though, I want to do something more creative than my typical ham sandwich on a leftover dinner roll.
When you’re looking for something quick and easy for a weeknight dinner, this Broccoli and Ham Casserole is the perfect way to make the most of your leftover ham, while making a meal that is wonderfully delicious and comforting.
The best part is you only need a few ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand.
The first thing you will need to do is spray a casserole dish or 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
Then, add 2 cups of diced, cooked potatoes, raw broccoli and diced, cooked ham to the prepared dish. Set aside.
In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of diced onion together over medium heat until the butter is melted and the onion is translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
Note: I used red onion, but white or yellow onion works fine, too.
Next, add 1/3 cup of flour and 1/8 of a teaspoon of black pepper. Whisk this mixture until it’s smooth and then add in 1-3/4 cup of milk. Stir continually until it starts to boil.
Once the mixture is boiling, reduce the heat and add in 8 ounces of softened cream cheese. Stir continually until the cheese is melted and mixed well.
Once the sauce is melted and creamy, pour it over the ham mixture in the casserole dish.
Top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes until the edges are bubbly.
Note: I used white cheddar cheese but you could use whatever shredded cheese that you have on hand.
Just look at this wonderfully savory dish. The saltiness of the ham mixed with the creaminess of the cheese and the texture of the broccoli add layers of flavor that are different with each bite. I guarantee this is going to be a hit with your family.
Because this recipe is very hearty and rich, I recommend serving it with this light and delicious Honey Lime Fruit Salad. This salad is very bright and flavorful and the great thing is, you can also use fruit that you already have on hand.
If you love this Broccoli and Ham Casserole, check out other creative uses for Easter leftovers that will keep your family grinning from ear to ear.
- 2 cups ham, cooked and diced
- 2 cups broccoli, cooked
- 2 cups potatoes, diced and cooked
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1-3/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheese (optional for top)
- Spray a casserole dish or 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Add potatoes, broccoli and ham to prepared dish. Set aside.
- In a warm saucepan, add butter and onion. Saute on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until onions are tender and translucent. Add flour and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Add milk and stir constantly until boiling. Reduce heat and add cream cheese. Stir until softened and mixed well.
- Pour mixture over casserole dish and stir.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake on 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes until edges are bubbly.