Do you love apple sauce? How about using your Slow Cooker? What if I told you, you could make the best apple sauce recipe with only three ingredients, and you can make it with the ease of your Slow Cooker? I guarantee this will be some of the best apple sauce you have tried.
If you have one of these handy apple corer/slicers, your job got even easier. In one swift motion, each apple is sliced and cored. Then take a small knife and cut the skin off of each piece. If you like, you can cut the slices into smaller wedges, once the skin is off.
Put the apples in your Slow Cooker and coat with the cinnamon and sugar. Pour in the water. Honestly, my mouth is watering just looking at this. I have to be honest with you. My kids are huge fans of apple sauce, especially my youngest. This is a way I can make it more cost effective and honestly so much more delicious. Store bought apple sauce just doesn’t hold a candle to this slow cooker, three ingredient apple sauce.
As you can see, this apple sauce cooks down a LOT. I emphasize – pack your slow cooker FULL! It will seem like a ton of apples at first but it cooks down into flavor packed goodness. Once you take that first bite, you will want to make sure you have as much as possible because it will go quickly! There is a depth of flavor that can only come from time and putting this apple sauce in your slow cooker and walking away allows you the time to make this the best apple sauce ever.
The richness of color comes from the generous amount of cinnamon I used. Please note that your apple sauce will be lighter in color if you use less cinnamon. Just look at this bowl sitting in front of you. Can you smell it? Can you tell that it’s still warm and just begging to be eaten? This apple sauce is so delicious you may have a hard time waiting for it to cool fast enough to eat.
One thing I absolutely love about apple sauce is how versatile it is. Add it to a muffin, cake, or even cookie recipe to moisten and cut down on the amount of sweetener that is needed. You can also make one of my favorites, pork chops and apple sauce which we will be featuring later this week. Add it as a healthier topping to vanilla bean ice cream for a delicious treat or mix it with plain, non-fat yogurt for a flavorful, healthy snack.
OR, do the obvious and grab a bowl and a spoon and simply eat it.
No matter how you choose to eat this slow cooker apple sauce, I guarantee you, once you have tried it this apple sauce will change your life. But don’t stop there, we have a couple more recipes with apples that you will love!
- 3 to 4 lbs apples which equals about 10-12 apples, any kind, any flavor
- ½ cup water
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon *Note* this makes the applesauce have a strong cinnamon flavor. For a more subtle flavor cut down to ½ teaspoon
- ½ cup white sugar (or substitute with agave nectar) if using tart apples. If using a sweeter variety, sugar may be omitted.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Fill that slow cooker up! Pack the apples in because they cook down significantly.
- Place in slow cooker and add sugar, and cinnamon, toss to coat. Add water and stir well.
- Heat on high 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- Remove lid to cool and slowly stir. If desired, mash apples with a potato masher.